Social Computing and Its Applications (SCA 2013), Karlsruhe.

I (Shaun) spent a hugely entertaining last week or so in Karlsruhe, in Germany, attending SCA 2013 (Social Computing and its Applications) where I was General Chair as well as attending (and giving a keynote – wearing a suit and everything) the associated industry-led Service Summit and visiting colleagues at Kaiserslautern University too. The organisation of the conference was amazing – Simon Caton from KSRI and his team did a wonderful job of putting together a great event with huge emphasis on the social side of things. Highlights, for me, included chairing the Best Paper session, won by Beatrice Valeri et al from the University of Trento from their work on the ComeAlong recommender system, as well as getting to introduce (see above) the keynote speaker, the wonderful Jen Golbeck from University of Maryland. The technical paper chairs Barbara Carminati (University of Insubria) and Georg Groh (Technical University Munich) did a great job of putting together the programme.  From what I can remember ( a’hem – check my Twitter account for the beer tab) the main conference dinner was also a huge success (see photos of the dinner as well as the technical sessions on the conference Facebook page). I also got to spend a fine few hours hanging out at the ZKM Media Museum where I managed to soundly thrash SCA publicity Chair Martin Chorley (Cardiff University) on the PainStation.